Because they tower so far above our heads, silo roofing tends to fall into the category of “out of sight, out of mind.” Unfortunately, this means that they generally don’t become a priority until there is an issue, such as a leak.
But why wait until there is a problem, especially when your silo stores valuable commodities like grain and feed?
Coating and Repair
We recently were asked to repair two worn out silo roofs in Benson, IL. For this particular industrial roof repair and coating project, we took the following steps:
- We completely removed the existing, failing roof systems
- We then used a diamond grinder to open up the pores of the concrete to ensure proper adhesion of the coating to come
- We re-flashed all protrusions and vents using a 3 step process involving elastomeric flashing and polyester fabric
- Ground out all cracks, installed backer rod, and filled the cracks with a polyurethane crack filler (this stopped the leaking)
- Filled the pitted & spalled areas with a slope building compound providing a nice even surface for the elastomeric coating to adhere to (the benefit of an elastomeric coating is that it moves with the expansion and contraction of the concrete throughout the seasons, preventing the coating from failing)
- The final step was to broadcast an aggregate into the topcoat, providing an anti-slip surface
Because of our confidence in our work and the integrity of the structure, we were able to provide a 10 year warranty on this project dependent on yearly inspections and minor maintenance work that we will provide.
We are proud to say that this is the third project we have been asked to complete for this client, and that they have referred us to others in the grain and feed industry!
Do You Need a Professional Painting Company?
The key to longevity when it comes to the quality and integrity of the coatings on your structure is taking the time to prepare the surface properly. Whether you utilize metal or concrete storage bins, Painters USA has the right coating system to protect your yield for years to come, and we can guarantee that we will do the job correctly the first time.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any industrial or commercial painting and coating questions that you might have!