A large construction material manufacturing company in Illinois had six silos that were beginning to rust around the bases, and the exterior paint was chalking badly. The project also included the repair and coating of the inside bottom portion of the silos, which required confined space certification. Coatings had to be applied in proper weather conditions, and our painting crew had to follow safety rules at all times. Hard hats, safety glasses and steel toe work boots were worn at all times. Work was done by crews with Aerial Lift Operator certification wearing safety harnesses during all lifts.
Project scope and process included:
- Removal of oil, grease, soil, loose rust, weld spatter, and other soluble contaminants by power washing all areas at 6,000 psi to SSPC-SP-1 standard.
- Power tool cleaning to SSPC-SP-3 standard as needed to remove pack rust.
- Masking and tarping of adjacent items and surfaces not to be painted.
- Application of prime coat of two-part Epoxy at 5-6 mils DFT.
- Application of top coat of two-part Urethane at 3 mils DFT.
- Removal of failing chime seal on all tank bottoms, inside and out, replacing with polyurethane sealant that was applied above system to the lower foot of the interior.
- Daily worksite cleanup.
All surface preparation was in accordance with coating specifications to provide coating manufacturer's warranty recommendations. Technical data and SDS sheets were provided for all products. The company’s silos are now protected against deterioration due to Illinois' typical seasonal corrosion of wind, rain, and snow.
Tank and silo cleaning and painting services
Added benefits working with Painters USA
Painters USA takes pride in a job well-done, and we stand behind our work. Our decades of experience, growth, and customer satisfaction speak for themselves.
- Flexible scheduling, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- National account management for single vendor convenience.
- Coverage from centrally-located offices in Illinois and Texas.
- Certified by WBENC as a woman-owned business.
- Regular maintenance available to fit into any facility management plans.