Have Questions about the Best Painting and Flooring Options for Your Microbrewery? Start Here!
By Painters USA Team
— Last updated January 16, 2023
The explosion of microbreweries across the country has been exciting to see. They represent entrepreneurialism, a love of the art of brewing, a sense of adventure, community, and, of course, absolutely phenomenal beer.
We also know that behind every microbrewery is a huge amount of work, especially as it grows from a fledgling concept to full-sized facility. As you do what you love, your paint and coatings should work just as hard as you do, not hindering your operations but rather being there as a steady support.
With the goal in mind of increasing the functionality, health, and longevity of your surfaces, let’s take a closer look at a few of the more popular microbrewery coating and maintenance strategies.
Why Exactly Is Maintenance So Important for Your Brewery?
When it comes to inspections, microbreweries are held to the same standards as large, commercial breweries. This means that your flooring and coatings need to be in-line with the regulations that guide your industry.
Beyond those regulations, your facility should also be attractive and ready for tours and events. After all, creating a unique environment that is conducive to engaging people and keeping patrons coming back is a big part of the microbrewery life.
Because of the importance of keeping a clean, organized, and professional appearance, machinery and conveyor cleaning is a valuable maintenance investment to consider. This kind of routine care is also an ideal way to avoid the need for larger repairs and unexpected production delays.
Why Should You Consider Urethane Cement Flooring for Your Microbrewery?
There are a huge number of flooring options on the market, so to help you refine the list it’s helpful to consider what attributes you specifically need your flooring system to possess.
With the unique environment of a microbrewery like yours in mind, we recommend a urethane cement floor. Why? We’re glad you asked!
- Durability - Cement topped with a urethane coating is incredibly durable, easily able to withstand foot traffic, forklifts, dropped kegs, dragged pallets, and other inevitable wear and tear that occurs in production and bottling facilities.
- Thermal Shock Resistant - Thermal shock can occur when a material experiences a sudden, rapid temperature change. On a small scale, this is why an ice-cold glass can shatter if you pour hot water into it. On a large scale, your floor system can delaminate, bubble, or peel when it’s washed with scalding hot water or steam. Urethane coatings can withstand this kind of rapid temperature change, allowing your floor to stand strong no matter how frequently you wash it.
- Anti-slip - Especially in an environment where there are often puddles and spills to deal with, having a floor that offers grip is ideal for the safety of both your staff and guests.
- Antimicrobial - If desired, your urethane cement floor can be made antimicrobial as well. This means that in addition to being seamless and nonporous (no hiding places for bacteria to grow), it contains biostatic effects that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew, and harmful bacteria. This kind of flooring is actually required by the FDA and USDA in some food and beverage distribution environments.
- Consider a Cove Base - Rather than the floor creating a sharp right angle with the wall, a cove base provides a curved edge for ease of cleaning. It is also an additional barrier against moisture and bacteria getting into the seams where the wall meets the floor.
What Does the Process of Applying a Urethane Coating to Your Cement Floor Include?
Here’s a quick look at what this process looks like:
1. Shot Blast or diamond grind the floor to prepare it for a high-build system - This creates a fresh, receptive surface.
2. Hand-grind around all equipment to achieve the proper profile
3. Patch any cracks or holes with epoxy or fast patch
4. Build 4" cove along all walls
5. Trowel down and back roll 1/8" to 1/4" Fast Top 12 S Urethane Cement Flooring
As another benefit, the floor can return to full use just 4-6 hours after application!
Polishing and Staining Your Concrete Floors
This is another quality option that offers tremendous benefits for your microbrewery. The process involves thoroughly polishing the surface with custom-designed equipment, transforming unattractive concrete into a much more durable, slip-resistant, bright surface. Polished concrete is also resistant to liquid penetration, making it both more sanitary and easier to clean.
After the polishing process, your floor can then be stained for a more customized look.
Recommended Painting for Your Microbrewery
While the interior paint colors you choose for your walls are an opportunity for creative expression, there are utilitarian painting projects that can be completed to assist your flow of operations.
To clarify, here are a few examples to consider:
- Line Striping - Especially if you have a busy production area, line striping that designates where foot traffic and machinery should go can help create a safe and organized environment. These lines act like lanes on a street, helping to guide vehicles through a busy intersection.
- Bright Paint for Key Areas - Painting dock plates and bollards a bright, safety yellow allows them to pop out to the eye.
Our Final Tip: Align Yourself With a Painting and Flooring Professional
Finding a professional in the commercial painting and flooring industry who can get behind your vision and understand your needs is invaluable. After all, you have poured an incredible amount of time and resources into your brewery, and it deserves every advantage.
If you have any questions for us at Painters USA, why not contact us directly? It would be our pleasure to serve you.
Ready to get an estimate for your project?
Call us at 1-800-999-8715 to learn more about our capabilities, or click on the button below if you’re ready for an estimate.