5 Causes of Painting and Coating Defects
By Painters USA Team
— Last updated June 29, 2023
At PAINTERS USA, we know how important the physical integrity of your commercial or industrial building is to your business. And when you have to deal with defective coatings like adhesion failure, overspray or chalking, it can be frustrating and even detrimental to your work. Because most painting and coating problems are a result of poor quality control on the part of a painting company, it’s vital to know how to identify common issues and their causes so you can avoid working with painters who will cause you more trouble than they’re worth.
Here are a few common failures related to painting and coating and what you should look for to avoid them when hiring a commercial painting contractor.
- Poor Materials: Materials are the first step in making or breaking your painting jobs. A skilled professional knows that faulty or incompatible materials will prevent adhesion and will always come prepared with the right materials for your specific job.
- Poor Surface Preparation: Surface preparation is one of the most important factors in the coating process. Many factors including chemical pretreatment and a poor substrate surface will prevent adhesion. A quality painting contractor will ensure that your surface is sufficiently cleaned and free of roughness and other harmful deterrents before applying paint.
- Poor Application: The process for applying paint or coating varies by product, but no matter what you’re using, it’s important to follow directions! Industrial and commercial painting companies like PAINTERS USA are always up-to-date on the most recent application procedures and safety precautions.
- Poor Post-Application Procedures: A skilled painter knows that you can just throw a coat of paint on an interior wall or exterior building and walk away. Post-application processes like drying, curing and overcoating are vital to the integrity of your paint job.
- Unprotected Coating: It may sound redundant, but it’s actually very important to protect your protective coating. To avoid defects, professional painters will know how to keep your new coating from aqueous systems and other harmful elements.
Painting and coating defects can be a major hassle (and a major expense) to your business, but hiring the right commercial painting company can help you avoid those pitfalls. Painters USA has 40 years of experience and highly trained painting professionals to help you assess needs and risks, choose the best paints and coating products, and get the work done fast with expert, long-lasting outcomes. We get the work done right, the first time!
Ready to get an estimate for your project?
Call us at 1-800-999-8715 to learn more about our capabilities, or click on the button below if you’re ready for an estimate.