Table of Contents
Industrial painting favors function over form
Industrial painting is like a coat of armor, providing a protective coating to help underlying surfaces and substrates withstand the operational conditions and environment they’re exposed to on a regular basis.
When a skilled industrial painter like Painters USA is finished, your industrial structures will be less prone to corrosion and wear and better able to maintain high production and financial value. Our crews work safely and efficiently in your industrial facilities, and we prepare them for any situation to help plant managers hit their facility maintenance goals. We work safely and efficiently in any setting, and we're pros at getting the most done under tight operational schedules.
What is the difference between commercial and industrial painting?
Both involve painting for a business or other entity like a government or university. Commercial painting is the description generally used for facilities like retail stores or hotels, which are used by customers and other people who are not employees. While durability and performance matter, aesthetics are also a high priority.
Industrial painting is the description for facilities generally used in production, often in harsh operating conditions. Durability and protection are the highest priorities, while aesthetics are less critical. Industrial structures are generally used only by employees and other authorized persons. Both industrial and commercial painting projects involve much more sophisticated equipment and materials, surface preparation, worker skill, and adherence to regulations than residential painting.
Technical specifications for industrial painting
Industrial painting is governed by a number of formal standards and certification programs to ensure high-performance paints and quality painting contractors. One such industry standard for corrosion protection of steel structures by protective paint systems is ISO 12944, which covers:
- Classifications of environment and corrosivity, such as pollution, temperature, humidity, and exposure to both fresh and sea or brackish water.
- Types of surfaces, substrates, and surface preparation. Industrial painting involves a diverse range of substrates like concrete and metal and surfaces and structures that may include machinery, tanks, and piping systems.
- Protective paint systems, including acrylic, alkyd, epoxy, polyurethane, and other specialized ones like chlorinated rubber.
Because of the wear and tear that industrial structures must endure and the importance of durability and protection, look for industrial painting contractors like Painters USA. Our certifications and understanding of industry standards are another level of assurance that we will deliver the safest, highest quality, most durable outcomes.
Industrial painting application
Application of paints and coatings are more stringent for industrial settings. The thickness of a coat of paint may not be crucial on a sheetrock wall in a hotel lobby, but having the correct thickness and uniform application can be critical on a metal surface.
Industrial coatings have requirements for mix ratios, material and application temperatures, a defined pot life or working time (how much time after mixing before the paint is no longer usable), film thickness and uniformity, and recoat windows for applying a second coat. Painters USA is experienced at applying coatings for a wide range of industrial settings, in mils that are the thickness of 2 or 3 human hairs, often applied outdoors in adverse conditions like 10-15 mile an hour winds, uncomfortable heat and humidity, and working on platforms 30-50 feet above the ground.
We do some limited use of roller and paintbrush application in small areas that don’t require uniform thickness, as brushing and rolling are very time-consuming. Other application methods that are faster, more efficient, and controllable include:
- Air spraying that uses atomization to apply the coating through a fine mist or spray, which gives a smooth finish compared to other methods.
- Airless sprayers that use higher blowing pressure, which is more efficient for covering large areas.
- Electrostatic painting is an option for creating an extremely strong bond, as positively charged ions in the paint are attracted to a negatively charged surface to be painted. Immersion coating.
- 'Dip coating' is a unique application method by which an entire part or component is dipped into paint, when a thick layer and strong adhesive quality are required.
Meeting your industrial painting objectives
You have many options for industrial coatings, surface cleaning and preparation, and paint application. Painters USA will help you assess those options based on your criteria and preferences, such as:
- Saving time and money;
- Minimizing waste;
- Need for a smooth, uniform coat;
- Performance under your operating conditions;
- Durability over time.
We’re ready for your industrial painting requirements
Painters USA has served a variety of industries throughout the years. We are committed to safely deliver your project, on time and on budget. Are you a facility manager in search of an experienced, reliable commercial / industrial painting contractor? Submit a request online or call us for a painting estimate.
Other facility maintenance services
Industrial cleaning services
Specialized painting services
Why Painters USA
- Large workforce with confined space and other training and certifications.
- Four offices in Texas and Illinois to mobilize from for regional and nationwide service.
- National account coverage with single vendor convenience for billing and accountability.
- WBENC-certified as woman-owned business for possible tax incentives and meeting supplier diversity goals.
- NACE-certified coating inspectors assure quality, high performance outcomes.
- We accommodate all scheduling needs, including evenings and weekends, and we coordinate with other trades.
- We aim for 100% customer satisfaction on every job and work hard to achieve that goal.
Painters USA is ready for the demands of painting any difficult industrial structures, including confined spaces. Our crews are methodical and detail-oriented, able to tackle large-scale painting projects for maximum performance and quality outcomes.