Painters USA is a certified woman-owned company.
Our WBENC (Women’s Business Enterprise National Council) certification validates much more than supplier diversity.
If you ask her how long she’s been with Painters USA, President Meg Cook laughs and asks back, “Do you mean paid or unpaid?”
For many years, as her husband Paul managed operations and sales, Meg did the invoicing and payroll, without taking a paycheck and while working another full-time job. Gradually, Meg became more involved in Painters USA and quit her day job. It was a client who recommended WBENC (Women Business Enterprise National Council) certification, which Meg initially resisted. But after learning more about the process, they decided to go for it.
In 2014, Painters USA became a certified woman-owned business enterprise, a status they've maintained ever since in an annual recertification process.
- Painters USA is both a Tier 1 and Tier 2 supplier to major corporations that are committed to satisfying their diversity spending goals.
- In addition, Painters USA is a registered vendor under SAM (System for Award Management) and CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity).
Women in construction trades
While the number of new woman-owned businesses has surged, the construction trades continue to be male-dominated. According to the American Express 2019 State of Women-Owned Businesses Report:
Between 2014 and 2019, the number of woman-owned firms in construction expanded by 68% and their revenue grew by 31%, yet woman-owned businesses still comprise less than five percent of the construction industry.
As a WBENC certified business during those years, Painters USA is happy to be part of the group and proud to offer career opportunities and valuable skills to women in painting, coating, and flooring.
Why WBENC certification matters
As a certified Women's Business Enterprise, Painters USA is both a Tier 1 and Tier 2 supplier to major corporations that are committed to satisfying their diversity spending goals and expanding supplier networks in the communities they serve. Yet supplier goals can never come at the expense of business requirements for reliability, quality, and value, and certifying agencies like WBENC also play a vital role in that regard.
WBENC not only ensures a legitimate claim to woman ownership and leadership; the agency also validates financial and operational excellence. In short, certification demonstrates that a supplier like Painters USA can meet a number of different requirements:
- Geographical support and national account coverage.
- Innovation through the use of current technologies and best-in-class processes.
- Financial discipline and strength for future growth and sustainability.
- Consistent, high-quality outcomes at a competitive price.
- Capacity to scale and add resources if needed.
- Compliance with all insurance, regulations, and other applicable laws and conditions.
WBENC certification process
The WBENC process can last several months as it includes a variety of reporting and inspection requirements. To become certified:
- Company must be at least 51% owned and controlled by one or more women, including management and daily operations.
- Female owner(s) must show proof of capital and/or equity investment.
- Business licenses, financial statements, and three years of federal tax returns must be provided.
- The process also includes a site visit and interview by WBENC staff.
- Certification must be renewed annually to ensure the company continues to meet WBENC standards.
Benefits of working with a woman-owned business
- Federal (and possibly state or local) tax incentives
- Support of women and other minorities who are under-represented in the trades
- Expanded procurement sources and supplier diversity goals
Other women in management roles at Painters USA
President Meg Cook says this about key female managers she relies upon:
Nicole Hanik, Chief Operating Officer
“We would not have been able to grow without Nicole’s big picture view of possible improvements and how to get them done.”
Laura Schulz, Regional Vice President, DFW Texas Region
“Laura did construction work with her dad during summers off from school, so she brings great working knowledge and ideas to the management team.”
Accounts Receivable Specialist
Technology & Sales Administrator
Learning & Development Specialist
Integrator & Office Manager
Human Resource Coordinator
Executive Administrative Assistant
Bilingual Human Resources Recruiter
Project Coordinator Illinois Region
Learning & Development Coordinator
Director of People Operations
Business Development Professional
Meet supplier diversity objectives with Painters USA
We are a good choice to not only help achieve your specific goals, but also provide you with the benefit of working with a respected name in painting, flooring, and industrial cleaning.
Other traits that set Painters USA apart in commercial painting and flooring
- Commitment to quality
- Focus on safety
- 150+ full time, professionally trained and certified employees
- Access to 1200 field employees nationwide
- Company-owned vehicle fleet and equipment
- Large support staff to handle all facets of projects
- Communication throughout entire project
- Product and process knowledge
- Backing of all warranties