Some details on epoxy cove bases
An epoxy cove base creates a seamless, smoothly curved slope between a floor and wall in commercial and industrial buildings. It covers the the narrow crevice where the wall and floor meet, space that attracts contaminants like a magnet while being difficult to keep clean. Proper installation requires a smooth, rounded top that serves as a transition between the wall and floor.
Cove bases are preferred and typically required in areas like the following, in order to maintain good sanitary conditions:
- Food and beverage processing facilities
- Cold storage rooms
- Lab facilities
- Janitorial areas and facilities
- Restrooms and locker rooms
Cove bases are commonly paired with epoxy flooring—also called resinous or polymer flooring—to create a hard, durable surface that is easy to design and clean. They are installed using a specialized, heavy-duty trowel that is curved to avoid square edges that collect dust and debris. The rounded edges don't completely eliminate that from happening, but they mitigate and reduce the likelihood of mold, bacteria, debris, and moisture to accumulate. The result is a more pleasant and sanitary space that is easier to clean.
Epoxy cove base options—satisfaction relies on the details
With various options for installing an epoxy cove base, you can end up getting something that isn't what you need or expect. Following are some important considerations, according to Benjamin Moore:
- The substrate must be solid, porous and clean—free of paint, sealers, oil, grease, or any other contaminants.
- A standard radius cove is usually ⅛ to ½ inch deep and four inches high, though sometimes six inches high with a one inch radius.
- For environments in which standing fluids are a concern, a “cant cove” may be a good fit. Cant coves are installed with a 45-degree slope between the floor and the wall, and while they are more expensive, they direct the flow of water or other liquids back down toward the floor.
- Once the cove is installed and thoroughly set, any imperfections can be lightly sanded away before sealing for greater durability and longevity.
Without specifications, asking for an epoxy cove base could be left open to interpretation. For example, there is simply a painted-on epoxy base that is not a true cove base at all, but done for aesthetic appeal. Aesthetics are fine, but to get a true cove base to meet your regulatory and facility requirements, turn to an experienced, trustworthy commercial contractor like Painters USA.
Painters USA for all your flooring needs and concerns
Painters USA offers a wide range of industrial and commercial flooring services to meet the needs of any industry and any operational environment.
Keeping your concrete floors in good shape helps your employees, equipment, & inventory stay safe.
A great way to make any area look good. Plus there’s no coating on the floor that will ever fail.
Cleaning in tight areas where combustible dust can settle and hide.
Functional, durable, and easy to maintain, epoxy floors are a go-to solution for many commercial & industrial clients.
Extremely important in the food & beverage and healthcare industries, these floor coatings provide protection to your facility.
Static dissipative flooring can be used in electronics & laboratory settings where sensitive equipment cannot be exposed to a static charge.
Slips, trips and falls are a leading cause of workplace accidents. Make sure your employees are safe with non-slip floor coatings.
Whether it is for safety or lean manufacturing reasons, our line striping services will enhance your factory floor & contribute to workflow.
Well-trained, highly professional crews make the difference
Painters USA is always hiring flooring and painting tradespeople. We use the Department of Homeland Security’s E-Verify System. We invest heavily in training and certification and all our crews are made up of employees—no sub-contractors—to ensure quality, consistency, security, and accountability.
- Large workforce that can perform services quickly and efficiently, including the capacity to send more workers to a job site if needed.
- Ability to coordinate with other service providers and trades.
- Available to work nights, weekends, and holidays to minimize disruptions.
- Fully licensed, insured, and credentialed.
- National account coverage and ability to handle multi-site locations around the country.
- WBENC certified as a woman owned business.
As a nationwide industrial and commercial contractor, we can meet a host of painting, coating, and industrial cleaning service needs. At Painters USA, we strive to give our commercial clients a hassle-free experience for all their facilities, from corporate offices to warehouses to manufacturing plants.