Urethane cement: What is it?
Urethane cement, sometimes called urethane concrete, cementitious urethane or polymer concrete, is a high-build coating that can be trowel-applied, roller-applied, or self-leveled. Made by combining urethane, common Portland cement, aggregate powders, water, and other materials, this resin technology produces a high-performance flooring surface.
It can be top-coated with a chemical-resistant urethane if that protection is needed. It can be used to slope floors to drains. Urethane cement requires no priming, can be put directly over damp concrete, and is available in fast turnaround versions for less operational downtime. Since decorative finishes like quartz or colored flakes can be added, urethane cement is also good for settings where design aesthetics are a priority.
There are many other great benefits to using urethane cement-based flooring, especially its resistance to extreme temperatures and temperature swings..
Thermal shock and thermal cycling resistance
Urethane cements offer excellent protection from thermal shock and thermal cycling because they expand and contract with the concrete substrate. As such, urethane cement is a good option for agricultural facilities, food processing plants, chemical plants, and any floors that must withstand frequent hot water washdowns or extreme temperature and/or moisture changes.
For use in a variety of commercial / industrial facilities
- Food and beverage processing
- Commercial kitchens
- Pharmaceutical labs
- Chemical processing facilities
- Manufacturing facilities
Other advantages of urethane cement
- Resistant to acids, grease, alkalis and other elements.
- Seamless installation and finish for a smooth surface with fewer vulnerabilities.
- Highly resistant to abrasion and other physical wear and tear.
- High moisture tolerance
- Options for other characteristics, like anti-microbial protection to resist the growth of microbes, bacteria or fungus and skid resistance for a safer workplace.
- Low odor for faster return to service and healthier environment for areas with heavy people traffic.
- Compliant with many USDA and FDA regulations.
Any operations that involve regular use of harsh chemicals can benefit from the strength and resistance of urethane cement floors.
Is urethane cement a good option for your business?
The concrete flooring and NACE-certified coating experts at Painters USA are happy to assess your operating environment. Contact us to discuss your needs or get answers to your questions about urethane cement and other floor coating options.