Table of Contents
Concrete and metal storage tanks and silos are all in a day’s work for Painters USA, even if they’re badly rusted, corroded, or just plain neglected. We have years of experience serving industries that rely on bulk storage tanks and silos—industries like food and agriculture, oil and gas refineries, and chemical manufacturing.
You can count on Painters USA to keep your concrete silos and steel tanks functioning well under any circumstances:
- Best products and processes to ensure high quality performance and durability.
- Compliance with OSHA, USDA, FDA, NSF, and any other applicable regulations.
- Extensive training and certifications including NACE (now AMPP) Coatings Inspectors and crews with confined space, aerial work, and fall protection training.
- Ability to work around planting and harvesting times, weather, scheduled down time, and other constraints or scheduling needs.
Whether you have grain silos or bulk storage tanks containing anything from fly ash to corn syrup, we’ll help protect the value, safety, and integrity of your products and your infrastructure investments. These structures require skilled, experienced industrial painting crews and specialized equipment. Coatings must be properly chosen and applied to provide and maintain a barrier of protection. Safety must always remain top of mind, as the work involves many hazards, from rapid weather changes to working at towering heights.
Minimal downtime, fast return to service
Facility maintenance projects are a disruption, so your downtime is our uptime. We combine experienced estimating and preplanning, detailed work plans, proven processes, large skilled crews, diligent project management, and scheduling flexibility for quality, on-time completion every time.
As much as we’d love to hang out with you, rest assured that we’ll be out of your facilities asap.
Expertise in both concrete silos and steel tanks
Whether your bulk storage facilities are primarily concrete or steel, Painters USA has years of experience working safely and effectively with both. Our crews are well-trained and certified, and equipped to work in any industrial setting. Because concrete and steel have unique attributes and their own pros and cons, you can rely on our expertise and certifications to protect your tank and silo investments and the stored products they contain. We will work with you to recommend the best solutions, whether your industry is cement and building materials, grain and other agriculture, oil and gas refining, food processing, and other allied industries.
Concrete silos surface preparation
- Painters USA has the experience and equipment to safely perform a variety of industrial cleaning services, such as power washing or abrasive blasting.
- That said, the certified coating professionals at Painters USA recommend surveys and tests first, especially for projects that involve sand blasting or other forms of abrasive blasting.
Concrete silo roofs
Tank and silo roofs require special consideration, as everything that applies to the walls is amplified on the roof. Tanks with a flat or low-slope create the perfect place for water to pool and puddle. They bear the brunt of the sun’s UV rays, rain, and other climate and weather factors. That’s why Painters USA begins every storage container project with a roof inspection, to give us a thorough understanding of what we’re dealing with. We do what we can to eliminate or mitigate any weak points in the roof that could damage the bulk storage structure and its contents.
Coating technology for bulk storage containers
Coating technology has come a long way from the old tar roof coatings that become brittle over time and paints that easily peel and degrade. Today, the skilled coating professionals at Painters USA can work magic to stop pin holes, cracking, peeling and other degradation that can result in leaks and contamination.
For example, elastomeric coatings have elastic properties, which allows them to shrink or expand to accommodate temperature changes, content characteristics, how empty or full your silos and tanks tend to be, and other factors.
Benefits of elastomeric coatings
- About ten times thicker than regular paint, yet flexibility that allows bending without breaking or cracking.
- Airtight, no-gap barrier to protect from water and other corrosive forces.
- UV resistant to protect outside tanks and silos from the glaring sun.
- Can be tinted and the color is well-retained for long-lasting value and appeal.
Elastomeric coatings ensure a long lasting, protective coating for bulk storage containers like tanks and silos.
Steel tank expertise
Steel is a popular bulk storage tank option. Steel tanks commonly have bolted seams, which are sealed to reduce leaks, and the steel surface is typically finished in the factory with a powder coating.
Painters USA can help you keep that new, factory-finish appeal and long-lasting performance, and we have been known to work miracles in the restoration of steel tanks that are older or have been neglected.
Typical commercial and industrial applications
|Bulk liquid storage||Bulk dry storage|
|Potable water||Sand and gravel|
|Wastewater storage and treatment||Wood chips and sawdust|
Tank linings for content protection
At Painters USA, we know it’s as important to protect the contents as it is to maintain the tank itself. That’s why tank linings require special considerations. Every product or material being stored has its own unique properties and issues that must be considered. Food safety must be addressed for food and agriculture products. Chemicals are highly corrosive to tank linings and also present safety risks like flammability and explosions.
Specific industry needs and regulatory compliance
Painters USA will follow all of your business and industry specifications for safety, compliance, and performance. Our certified coating experts can offer advice for all tank surfaces, inside and out.
We have experience in many industries that rely on steel tanks, including:
Corrosion control and prevention
Prevention is the best strategy for controlling corrosion, and that includes tank coatings and linings of the proper type and thickness, professionally applied for specific environmental and operational conditions.
Prevention also requires a plan for routine maintenance and upkeep, developed with your schedules and budgets in mind. It’s important to reduce deferrals and delays that can lead to bigger, more costly repairs and fixes.
Yet sometimes preventative measures are not taken. Facility and operational managers must deal with the realities they face:
- Various types of chemical and atmospheric corrosion
- Operational and physical wear and tear
- Limited facility downtime
- Competing priorities for maintenance budgets
With no “one size fits all” solution, Painters USA will identify and recommend solutions based on the tank itself, the contents, the operational setting, downtime and budget constraints, and other considerations.
Branding and business promotion
Performance and durability are the biggest priorities for tanks and silos, but let’s not forget branding and corporate visibility. With their height and stature, tanks are a perfect billboard to promote your business and motivate employees. Why not leverage that valuable space with our logo painting capabilities?
What are your needs and obstacles? Painters USA is here to listen, assess, and offer workable solutions to keep your steel tanks in top-notch condition.
Painters USA for silo and tank painting expertise
Rust and other forms of corrosion are the number one enemy of industrial silos or tanks of any kind, which must endure the climate and ever-changing weather patterns. Corrosion decreases the structural lifespan and increases the risk of contaminating stored products. Many industrial clients turn to Painters USA to restore and maintain their bulk storage silos and tanks, relying on our industrial cleaning and coatings expertise.
- Solutions that deliver endurance and cost-efficiency.
- Crews with the training and equipment to perform the work safely and efficiently.
- Ability to perform lead paint abatement and rust encapsulation.
- Corrosion protection that carries a warranty of up to 10 years.
Lack of proper and routine maintenance will cause any silos and tanks to disintegrate over time. A reputable and experienced industrial painting contractor like Painters USA is your best option for restoring and maintaining the integrity of these important structures.
Our safety culture delivers big benefits
Safe workplaces make for a happier, more productive workforce. They reduce legal and insurance risks. They protect lives and assure families that their loved ones will return home from work every day. Our commitment to safety gives our clients one less thing to worry about.
Case study: Construction material silo project
A large construction material manufacturing company in Illinois had six silos that were beginning to rust around the bases, and the exterior paint was chalking badly. The project also included the repair and coating of the inside bottom portion of the silos, which required confined space certification. Coatings had to be applied in proper weather conditions, and our painting crew had to follow safety rules at all times. Hard hats, safety glasses and steel toe work boots were worn at all times. Work was done by crews with Aerial Lift Operator certification wearing safety harnesses during all lifts.
Project scope and process included:
- Removal of oil, grease, soil, loose rust, weld spatter, and other soluble contaminants by power washing all areas at 6,000 psi to SSPC-SP-1 standard.
- Power tool cleaning to SSPC-SP-3 standard as needed to remove pack rust.
- Masking and tarping of adjacent items and surfaces not to be painted.
- Application of prime coat of two-part Epoxy at 5-6 mils DFT.
- Application of top coat of two-part Urethane at 3 mils DFT.
- Removal of failing chime seal on all tank bottoms, inside and out, replacing with polyurethane sealant that was applied above system to the lower foot of the interior.
- Daily worksite cleanup.
All surface preparation was in accordance with coating specifications to provide coating manufacturer's warranty recommendations. Technical data and SDS sheets were provided for all products. The company’s silos are now protected against deterioration due to Illinois' typical seasonal corrosion of wind, rain, and snow.
Added benefits working with Painters USA
Painters USA takes pride in a job well-done, and we stand behind our work. Our decades of experience, growth, and customer satisfaction speak for themselves.
- Flexible scheduling, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- National account management for single vendor convenience.
- Coverage from centrally-located offices in Illinois and Texas.
- Certified by WBENC as a woman-owned business.
- Regular maintenance available to fit into any facility management plans.